Yesterday we read the book Pete the Cat Too Cool For School by Kimberly and James Dean. In the book, Pete was trying to decide what to wear to school. He asks everyone and then finally decided to wear his favorite things.
Today have your child make a “zine booklet” about getting dressed in clothes of lots of colors. A zine booklet is a book folded out of one sheet of paper. Below I will share with you how to make your own, or you can hop over to my Teachers Pay Teachers store and pick up a copy of the one I have there for free!
If you choose to use mine you can have your child color the pictures before you fold and cut the zine. Or you can fold and cut the booklet and have your child create their own colorful outfit zine booklet. Now have your child point and read the book. Any time your child is stating words while pointing to word we call it reading. Even if he/she is not decoding the words it is the process of reading that is important. When I teach kindergarten I talk about this as reading as a kindergartner.
Now, onto how to make the zine booklet…
See image on the left for how to set up the pages. If you are having your child draw the images, you will want to do the folding first and the draw.
- Fold the paper in half “long side to long side”. Open it back up.
- Now Fold the paper in half “short side to short side”. Open it back up.
- Fold the short sides into the middle fold. Open this back up.
- Now fold it in half again short side to short side and cut along the fold (the line between 4/7 and 3/8).
- Then fold it back in half long side to long side.
- Hold onto the edges and push the pages together to create an open “box”.
- Push until you get it into an “x” shape.
- Now you can fold it.
Check out this youtube video for step by step visual instructions.
I’d love to see what you make. Share your child’s work with me firstname.lastname@example.org I love seeing children learning!