When you think of the holiday season, there is one candy that pops into mind… candy canes! So, let’s learn about candy canes today.
Here is a fun story to start: Katie the Candy Cane Fairy by Tim Bugbird
Now that you’ve learned a little about candy canes… let’s have some fun.
Candy Cane STEAM (see similar activity here)
- Take out 3 glasses
- in one glass put room temperature water
- in the second, put ice water
- in the third put boiling/hot water
- Make a prediction: what do you think will happen to the candy canes in each glass?
- drop a candy cane (or part of a candy cane) in each glass
- Now observe!
- Does the temperature of the water effect the rate of dissolving?
- Any other observations?
You can do the same experiment using different liquids (water, vinegar, soda, milk) or different waters (tap, distilled, salt, sugar, etc).